Monday, August 31, 2009

Cure for the Common Cold

So, it has been a busy summer and I haven't updated this as much as I should. Lots of gardening, enjoying nature, canning, and cooking have occupied my time, but things haven't left much time for writing. To top it off, in the last month I've been sick TWICE, after two years cold and flu free. Yikes! But you get to benefit, because in my last round of sickness, I discovered the cure for the common cold. Try it next time you are sick, and you won't be sick for long. Bonus, it is tasty, and could also be used to ward off vampires!
Also, if you are sick and making this, be easy on yourself. Sit down when you chop the onions/garlic. Keep on the lowest flame you can so you can just sit and drink tea and let it cook. Then enjoy it's restorative powers.

Cold Cure Soup
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 onion, peeled, sliced in half and then sliced into thins half moons
1 head of garlic, peeled, and cloves smashed (yes, the WHOLE HEAD)
hefty pinch of sea salt
4 cups veggie broth or 4 cups water and 1 cube veggie boullion
1 tsp. turmeric
pinch of coriander powder (optional)

Heat canola oil over medium flame, until rippling. Add onions and salt. Stir quickly to induce sweating. If onions look at all like they might burn or brown, turn the heat down to medium low. After the onions sweat for 5 minutes, add garlic cloves. Sweat together for about 15 minutes. When completely translucent and soft, add water/broth/bouillon and turmeric and coriander powder if using. Cover, raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes at least, 20 minutes if you have the time. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a minute or two (inhale the vapors when you remove the lid, it will open your sinuses!), then run through a blender to make smooth (or use an immersion blender). This recipe will make two large bowls of soup, I suggest eating both together if your appetite (and tolerance for garlic!) will allow.

1 comment:

Eat To Live said...

Wow...I think this soup is just what I am looking for.

Did you know tumeric is an antifungal? so is the garlic. No wonder this soup cures colds.

Do you mind if I copy it and put it on my blog? I would link back to you. Thanks Terry

I am also having an APRON GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please check it out. Thanks Terry
http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/