Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cesar salad

I am not really a vegetarian, I just eat mostly veg, with occasional fish. It is what works for me now, after 10 full years fully vegetarian. Anyway, if you are offended by fish recipes pass this over.

My Man loves Chicken Cesar salad, so it just makes sense that I would some kind of Cesar salad, without chicken. This time, I'm using a Boca Burger for protein, and a dressing very close to the original, so it contains anchovies.

Cesar Salad - Leaves and Dressing for Two

Take 1 head of romaine, slice of the stubby end off, and discard; then proceed to slice across the head into 1/2 inch width slices. Drop sliced lettuce into a sink filled with 2 inches with very cold soapy (veggie wash) water. Swish around and remove the lettuce to the spinny insert of a lettuce spinner, rinse the lettuce again with cold water. Dry the lettuce in the spinner a couple of times until completely dry. Take a little block of Parmesan and use a microplane to shave the Parmesan into the lettuce, make 10 passes over the microplane, then toss the lettuce and repeat another 10 passes. Crack a little black pepper on that, too, to taste.

Dressing
Juice from one half of a lemon
1 tsp. Dijon mustard (I used honey Dijon)
1 egg
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 anchovies
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
15 twists of cracked pepper
2/3 cup olive oil

Add the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, egg, garlic, anchovies and cracked pepper to a blender. Blend on low until all ingredients are incorporated and smooth. While still blending on low, slowly add the olive oil, blending until it is Incorporated and silky. Done.

Pour on leaves and toss! I covered with a Boca burger sliced in strips and a little diced avocado, I didn't add any croutons, but I didn't have any and was being lazy.

No comments: